Harmon's Haven

Meet amazing dad Robbie, mother-in-training Jesika, 7 year old best big sister Bree, 5 year old boy in every way Gabe, 3 year old who thinks he's 10 years old who makes us all laugh McKay,
and 9 month old sweetest Quinn Marie...the Harmon Family!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

~Friends are blessings~

Last Saturday a group of dear friends had a Baby Shower for me. I couldn't have asked for a more wonderful gathering! Living far away from our family has given us such a great opportunity to make some wonderful friends. And as I sat there looking at all of the wonderful women I am blessed to know I realized how much I really learn from each them! I couldn't help but feel so much love for them! We met at California Pizza Kitchen (it was perfect, we had our own little spot at the back of the restaurant) and had a delicious lunch and wonderful conversations. The gifts were great and the advice I got was perfect! I just love each girl who was there and am so grateful for friends!

I thought I would pass along some of the advice I received:

-Exercise in the morning, it will give you energy for the day (oh I can't wait until I can exercise normally again!!), get out of the house and play with friends.
-Read to Bree when you are nursing baby boy so she won’t feel neglected. (I think Bree will love that!)
-Maybe the best thing would be to remember that you can never have enough photos, things written down or forgiveness. (Talk about great advice for anyone!)
-Don’t compare your children. Milestones are different for every child and they all eventually learn to walk, ride a bike, talk, etc… Enjoy every minute!
-Give Bree as much attention as you can while the baby is small. Help Bree fee like the baby is her baby too.
-Follow the spirit. He is the Lord’s son, so he will direct you with your sweet boy. (I love that...really that's the only way I have any hope of knowing what to do with TWO children!)
-In Japan they say talk to your baby a lot even when they are too small to hear and talk. Sleep with him whenever you can! (That was from my dear friend who is from Japan.)
-Follow your instincts. Do Parent-child date nights, and let the child pick the activity. So fun! Have the baby bring a present home to the older siblings from the hospital.
-Let Robbie be in charge of breakfast for Bree and do bath time so you can have a break. (We already do that and it is the BEST. Robbie is so wonderful to take care of bathtime and bedtime and it gives me such a wonderful break in the evenings! I love you Robbie!) Do “mommy-daughter and daddy-daughter dates. Getting that alone times becomes really important. Put Bree in charge of as much as possible, like choosing baby’s outfit or bib…
-You won’t have time to do all the things you want to do, but some how you do end up with the time for all the things your need to do. Also, you’ll never go to the bathroom by yourself again. (Ha, that's already a rarity. It is so cute though when Bree pokes her head in and exclaimes, "Good job mommy!" Ever since she has been potty trained we always say, Good job Bree! when she is successful...and now she says it to us when we go. So cute!)

It was such a wonderful shower! I love you girls!

8 comments:

Ashley and Ethan said...

Wow Jess,that is some really great advice. The only advice I have really recieved is stuff you hear all the time. Nothing profound like those- I like em! I'm happy you are pregnant again and can't wait to see what your boy will look like. No doubt they'll posses the same rainbow eyebrows as your husband :) haha love ya!
Ash

Natalie said...

Great advice and fun! I love CPK.

Cara said...

Good advice for me! When is your due date? I thought it was in January. Guess I was wrong, but it has to be coming up soon. Good luck! So great that Bree is potty trained. The other day I was using the restroom and Marin came running in and said, "Mom, do you want me to hold your hand while you go?" That's what I say to her-- then when she started clapping for me and asked, "Do you want me to get you some toilet paper?" It was great, but I felt a little silly sitting there being cheered on!

Kelly said...

You'll do great with 2! It's really not as hard as I thought it would be. Eva was a little jealous, but it has helped to say things like "Mae, look at what Eva is doing!" and like the others said - try to involve her in what you're doing for the baby.

Mae now totally lights up when Eva talks to her, dances for her, etc. When they interact it's like Heaven on Earth!

I'm glad you're being well taken care of out there!

Arbon Family said...

You are so amazing and I am so glad you posted the comments, I was trying to tell Jess all the great advice you received and I could not remember all of it so thanks!! I am so excited for you and cannot wait to meet your little boy.

Shane and Lauren said...

Jesika, it's been forever! I wanted to wish you good luck before your little boy comes and let you know that we're thinking of you guys and praying for you and can't wait to hear about your new little addition. Once again, I really wished we lived closer...maybe someday. Give me a call sometime if you ever have a minute (once things settle down a little). Even if it's just for a minute, I would LOVE to talk!

Autumn said...

Jesika, Liz told me that you had your little baby Gabriel this morning. Congratulations! I am so very happy for you. Also, Jeremy and I have started our own blog- if you send me your g-mail address I'll add you on so you can see it.
-Autumn

Rosie said...

Perfect advice! I am going to be stocking your blog for pictures of the big event!! Good luck and write down anymore advice you learn for me:)